Monday, May 7, 2012

Reflection on my Writing


Final Reflection

The Blog I will be talking about is “Isn't funny that there are only 7 hockey franchises in Canada and 23 franchises in United States and hockey is considered Canada's Pastime and also was created in Canada?” It talked about the reasons the National Hockey League chooses big U.S. Markets that may not get many fans to the smaller markets like in Canada that have much more passions and fanatic response to hockey.  My audience for this blog entry was hockey fans, sports fans, and even people who like the business of sports in general, I responded to them as saying what the facts were and reasons for these facts I answered the question as best I can for this blog entry and for the material I had for this which was one article I found on the subject. My thesis statement for this blog entry was “The reason why the NHL has more franchises here in America than the Canada is solely due to financial gain.” It seemed pretty well-defined it had a subject the NHL franchises, the claim was there looking at American markets because of financial gain but, I wasn’t sure about the context I believe it’s the NHL  because that’s who I’m talking about. I believe I analyze pretty well in this blog I first talked about the history of moving franchises and said that money was the big issue in moving to one area over another due to taxes, media revenues, and attendance numbers. I also gave some internal problems such as revenue sharing, the salary cap, government subsidization and the relocation itself. I put good detail in all of these points trying to show my thesis statement right. I sort of so-so with other people’s work because I’m unsure if sometimes I right or not because when comes to grammar, punctuation and the fundamentals of writing I’m not the best at it so I’m usually unsure if I’m not the best writing something why should I be the one critiquing somebody else’s paper.
My research essay is called “comics are literature” and it was about that some comic books should be considered literature just as some books are. My audience where people who love comics, unsure about the comic medium and people who oppose comics. This is also for people who may not understand comics as much as comic book fan does and should give comics a fair shot.  I gave reasons from literature standpoint and a perspective standpoint that comics should be literature. My thesis was The belief that all comic books are not considered literature should be changed. Many comic books should be considered literature, just as some questionable books are considered literature in the public eye. It had all three parts context which was the public, subject which was comics and claim comics should be considered literature just as books are.  I analyzed everything there was the history of why comics aren’t literature, reasons why they aren’t literature, the characterizations of why comics are literature and the perspectives of why comics are literature from librarians, teachers and critics.
My writing has changed a lot since the start of the semester. At the start of the semester I wasn’t sure what academic writing is so that really made me struggle at the start of this class . Once I knew what the characterizations of academic writing was I hit the ground running and did much better in the second half of the semester than the first half. I used a lot of I’s and and first person characterizations in my writing. Like I said in my third blog “First, we will go over their study’s findings, followed by what teams can improve upon from these findings.” Really not supposed to use those we and I’s in this kind of writing. In my research essay I changed that around and made it sound much more academic here’s the example explaining the overview of my research paper “Even though there has been much criticism of comic books, there is been positive reinforcement for comics as literature. Like many, the characterizations of literature are well identified in comics, and positive perspectives of comics come from the educational side to challenge a critics’ perspective.” It sounds great even though I didn’t have to walk the reader through with “let’s get started” or “we’ll first go through” kind of writing. Overall I’ve really improved my writing very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment